Friday, September 25, 2015

This Sure is a Dramatic Blog Post

This monologue greatly helped my understanding of putting emotion into speeches. All of our monologues had characters with backstories, interest and ideas that we needed to relate to while talking. These were not meant to sound monotone or speech-like, but relate to the person we were trying to portray. I learned a lot from this monologue and had a lot of fun memorizing and performing it.
Memorizing the monologue was particularly hard because of its length. It seemed longer then my "Who Am I?" monologue that I wrote. It was hard for me to act out going crazy and being mad and yelling because I usually try not to do that often. I had to do this because in the monologue, I believe my character was in a mental hospital, due to her craziness after her mothers death. I thought it was great being able to choose our monologue and I was nice not having to write it. I feel that this monologue is harder because you need to memorize the whole thing, plus make eye contact that relates to the character, plus make body movements that relate to the character.
It was a lot of fun being able to pick out this monologue from other sources. I feel like this allowed people to be able to relate more, to the piece of writing they picked, or choose something more outside their comfort zone (like I did). I feel like writing the speech, like our "Who Am I?" monologues, allows us to memorize faster. But, this makes us use our brains more because we need to find different ways to memorize. We can do this by practicing more, listening to ourselves, color coordinating parts of the speech and more.
I did many things differently in this monologue compared to the first monologue. I think this is because of the fact that this was dramatic, compared to a more ordinary speech. I was able to embrace my characters emotions using different tones of voice, facial expressions and arm movements. In my "Who Am I?" speech, I mostly stood still and had closer to a monotone, but still interested, voice. Also, in my dramatic monologue, I tend to use my arms and body more for certain emphasis. In my other monologue, I simply stood still and made eye contact with everyone else in the room.
So far, I have only seen Hannah's monologue but I thought that it was really amazing and learned quite a lot from it. I thought it was very cool how quickly and easily she was able to memorize and perform it. I learned from her that you have to truly embrace your character, and it may take a couple tries but you will eventually be able to complete your final project.
At the moment, I still need to practice my speech more and hopefully have the finalized version ready for presenting by Monday. I still need to practice my acting skills because I feel that I need to capture the essence of my character and her state of depression and insanity. I also need to thoroughly memorize it because for some reason I can't seem to memorize pieces of writing very easily.


http://image.slidesharecdn.com/tipsonhowtomemorizeaspeech-111125094757-phpapp01/95/tips-on-how-to-memorize-a-speech-1-728.jpg?cb=1322214656

No comments:

Post a Comment