Friday, September 18, 2015

Reflection of Monolouge



    I learned a lot from this "Who am I?" Monologue. Writing and performing this speech allowed me to figure out my strengths and weaknesses. I was able to figure out what I need to work on in the future and how I need to present myself by learning from my peers. This was a fun project that allowed me to reflect on what I will be able to improve on.
I learned a lot about my writing when creating this monologue. I now realize that I need to be more precise and to-the-point when my speech should only be about a minute long. I tend to add extra details that aren't quite necessary when writing. Performing this speech taught me a lot about myself. For example, I never realized how much I move my legs and fidget when talking. I also seem to get quieter and more rushed once I'm near the end of a sentence. Therefore I believe that my weaknesses would consist of, often fidgeting, dropping sentences and memorizing. When memorizing this speech, I actually found it quite difficult and had to practice many, many, many times before I could get it right. Although my weaknesses were many, I also figured out some of my strengths over the course of this assignment. I realized that I could memorize the sentences, just not the order they came in. I also believe I am able to make a good amount of eye contact with others when delivering my speech.
I learned a lot about presentation from my teacher and other students. I now know that standing up straight and talking loudly (but not yelling) makes you seem very confident. I also learned that even if you have no idea what your talking about, if you sound confident and convincing, most of the time, everyone will believe what you are saying. If you are delivering a speech and you stutter, especially a real speech with people watching you, you have to keep going. Often, I would say the wrong word and then completely stop and start over. If you are in a conference, you can not just say "wait sorry let me start over." You will look unprofessional. That is why you must continue as if nothing happened, and most people won't even notice.
      In my next monologue, I will have to work on making the first draft more precise, and start the process of memorization earlier to make sure that I can really get it. I have learned many techniques to help with memorization including; recording and listening to yourself, making different parts of the monologue different colors, making each sentence on a new line, and always practicing out loud with other people.
Writing and delivering this monologue was a very enjoyable experience that allowed me to learn and grow. Thanks to my peers and amazing teacher, I have learned so much about delivering monologues and speeches. And its only been the first two weeks of school! I am looking forward to using what I have learned for future assignments and projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment