Sunday, November 15, 2015

My Review on Peter Pan

    This past weekend, I, along with many others, saw the original Peter Pan performed by the Cheshire Academy theater program. I saw the first showing and therefore understand how nervous, excited and stressed everyone must have been. Overall this play was very good and interesting. Since I have only seen the Disney version of Peter Pan before this, it was nice being able to see a different side to the story. This was a very good play and you could tell that a lot of effort was put into it.
All of the actors did a very good job portraying their characters. I think that everyone really fit the part they were given. Also, if one person had to play the part of two different characters in the play, they did a very good job of separating the two. The one person was able to have completely different personalities for each specific character they were playing.
I believe that all the costumes and props in this play were amazing. Personally, I loved the scene on the pirate ship with the masts and red lights. I thought all the lighting was very cool, although there seemed to be a few mistakes with the first show. For example, Sam had to kind of move with the light one time but everyone was able to easily adjust which was good. It seemed like there was a lot of work put into all the costumes and I think that everyone looked great for the final product.
Compared to the Disney version, this Peter Pan had a lot of comparisons but also some differences. This play was a bit darker than the Disney version, but this is a bit obvious because Disney is generally meant for smaller children even though many, many older people like it as well. In this play people actually died unlike the Disney version. What really surprised me was the suicide of Captain Hook. Also I found it shocking and very symbolic in general during the part when Peter was standing, steering the boat with Captain Hook's hook on right after he killed himself. The red lights and Peter standing there was very dark and eerie. Also when Captain dropped his sword and Peter gave it back to him, it showed Peter wanted to win, fair and square. I feel like Captain Hook was what kept Peter's life interesting so he didn't want everything with him to be over.
This play was truly fantastic and I'm very happy that I was able to go and see it. Everyone worked very hard and did a great job performing in front of so many people. The take on the play was new, different and interesting and the whole thing was a lot of fun.








No comments:

Post a Comment